Friday, June 22, 2012

The Wishbone Project: Book 1: Tom Sawyer

Since I'm sick with the flu and I don't have a job, I thought I would get started on my Wishbone Project. So I was taking a look through what books I still need to read that I actually have with me and the first one I found was "the Adventures of Tom Sawyer." I bought it ages ago for $2.00, knowing I'd always wanted to read it, but years later, I still haven't gotten around to it.

It's actually rather fitting to start this way, because the first two episodes of "Wishbone" are dedicated to  "Tom Sawyer." They're also two of my favorite episodes of the series.

I have to admit, after reading "Huck Finn" twice in an academic setting, I wasn't too fond of Mark Twain. That is to say, I think he's a genius who lived a very interesting life and was a fantastic writer, BUT I really hated "Huck Finn."You can disagree with me, but I just didn't find it interesting either time. Constructed and written well, but plot-wise? Meh. Granted it was revolutionary and tackled some very controversial issues, but I just didn't enjoy it.

I've read that "Huck Finn" was originally intended to be directed towards a younger audience like "Tom Sawyer," but Mark Twain found himself writing something different. It's for that reason that I'm still excited to read "Tom Sawyer"--a book that's intended to be more about boyhood adventures than about social issues. Not that social issues aren't important and all, but sometimes it's nice to read something more...relaxed.

I would LOVE for people to join me in reading this book. You can pick up a Dover Thrift Edition, brand new, for two dollars like I did, or you can support a local bookstore (Go Local for Books!). I won't put any sort of time limit on the reading or anything, just that I'll probably be starting today and I imagine will finish with a week or so. Depends on how my job search goes. I never put spoilers in my reviews without fair warning, so even if you aren't finished when I am, you can pop back here and check out my impressions of the book.

I'm also going to watch the two "Wishbone" episodes on it (links below!)--so even if you're too lazy to pick up a good book (as the show suggests) you can always watch the lovely "Wishbone" version with me!

"Wishbone: A Tail in Twain" links! (Disclaimer: I don't own "Wishbone," nor were the videos below uploaded to Youtube.com by myself)

Part 1/4
Part 2/4
Part 3/4
Part 4/4


Happy reading and watching, friends!

In a few days, I'll have that "Hobbit" review up. In the meantime, I love me some "Wishbone"!
AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment