Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Update: 7/10/12: TWP and What I'm Working On

I was really determined to read "Ivanhoe" outside today. Really determined. My determination failed me when, after five minutes in the sunshine, a large spider fell from the heavens and onto my open book. I don't like surprises. I really don't like spiders, so the spider surprise was enough to lead me back to the indoors. It led me to shriek too, but I suppose that isn't the point.

Like I mentioned in my last post, I'm working my way through "Ivanhoe." Originally, I was going to do this "Wishbone" project chronologically. I dig chronological things. But, I recently went out of town, knew I was going to have some reading time and I wanted to work on a "Wishbone" book. I don't happen to have "Oliver Twist" on me at this moment--it's one of the books I had left behind with my mom--no telling where it could be right now. And I'm broke. So I chose "Ivanhoe."

My first impression is that I'm going to have a lot of fun reviewing this one. I have a thing for reading books written before 1960 and usually I stay in this time frame of 1900-1945, so "Ivanhoe" is definitely a good exercise for the brain. While reading the first chapter, I thought I was going to hate the book. Basically--Sir Walter Scott (what a fantastic name!) uses the first chapter to set up the background and history that leads up to the story--relevant information. None of which I actually remember. I'll probably go back at the end and take another gander to see what I skimmed through so quickly. I'll say this about "Ivanhoe"--attention to detail. The attention to the smallest details is phenomenal. So phenomenal some of it is actually obsolete. Anyway--I'll save it for the actual review--my point is, I'm having a good time.

I'm about a third of the way through it and if I find myself taking too long, I might attack one of the shorter "Wishbone" stories--the Edgar Allen Poe or something that I have sitting around--maybe some Sherlock Holmes--just to put something up. I always feel lazy if I don't have something working on this blog.

After I finish "Ivanhoe," I think I'll take a short break and turn back to the fantasy world of GRRM in reading "Feast for Crows"--I've been putting it off since March and I think it's time to jump back into the action while I can still remember everything that's happened--if you don't know me, let me just say that my memory is pretty awful. 

Meanwhile, you can get a head start on me and check out the "Wishbone" episode:

Sniffing the Gauntlet 1/3
Sniffing the Gauntlet 2/3
Sniffing the Gauntlet 3/3

Find a comfy chair, grab yourself a cup of tea (I always think tea accompanies a good read!), and join me in reading "Ivanhoe" or just check out this awesome episode!

Happy reading/viewing!
AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment