Tuesday, January 17, 2012

"A Game of Thrones" by GRRM Part 2: HBO Series

Let winter commence! There's been a bit of snow in my area lately, and every time it starts up again, either my roommate or I point out the window, look at each other and whisper: "Winter...has come!" I thought I would include with my book review of "A Game of Thrones" (check it out here:http://ajsrantsnreviews.blogspot.com/2012/01/game-of-thrones-by-george-rr-martin.html).


I actually saw the series before I read the book, which scared me; I was filled with this terrible fear that I would read the books and it would just reveal the show as a horrible farcical shell of a shit hole (excuse my language!) masquerading as the book. Not so.

Let's start with casting: amazing! I mean, really phenomenal. I was disappointed, reading the books, that Daenerys didn't have violet eyes! It's just wrong! Not quite what I pictured as I was reading. The other thing I can think of to complain about is that they sort of obscure the children's ages: Daenerys is 13 in the books! 13! In the series, I don't believe they mention her age at all, but she could be anywhere between 16-19. The same with Sansa. Also 13! In the series, this is sort of believable...but I happen to know that in future books, it just sort of makes things gross. That's all I'll say about that.

But really, the casting of Tyrion, especially is spot on. The Lannisters, the Starks--they were just as I pictured them (it had been awhile since seeing the series when I read the books, which was nice because I could block out the images from the show).

Plot: Deliciously on point. For almost the entire series, the ENTIRE series, you could literally sit with your book and watch the show at the same time and follow along word for word, action for action. I like this. I'm so happy that GRRM decided to do a mini-series/show instead of a movie--that would simply have ruined it.So if you're avoiding the series because you're afraid it will butcher the book, think again and go watch it. You will love it!

Removed from the book, I think this is definitely a show anyone can enjoy! It's full of a little something for everything: action, adventure, fantasy, romance, drama, fighting, squabbling, mystery--I mean, really, you name it, "A Game of Thrones" probably has it. But go ahead and try me!

Rating: 5/5 stars! I swear, I am a judgmental person--I don't just go giving things 5 stars every five seconds to anything I look at. I'm rather selective as to what I read/watch...and they've all been good lately!

Anyway, happy watching! And happy reading!
AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment