Monday, February 6, 2012

"A Clash of Kings" by GRRM

Hello all! On my recent choral venture to the Lone Star State (the Space Cows say hi), I finished George R. R. Martin's "A Clash of Kings."
Image courtesy of George R.R. Martin's Website (http://www.georgerrmartin.com/), Bantam Hardcover Edition, 1999. 


"A Clash of Kings" is the anticipated sequel to "A Game of Thrones," following the story lines of several different families, all warring for the right to rule the Seven Kingdoms. The family Stark wars against the family Lannister for rights to rule in the North. Two brothers battle for the throne. A young girl wanders through a strange country with her dragons, trying to make her way home so she can take back her rightful kingdom.

So, basically, there's a lot going on.

I enjoyed this book, though not as much as the first one. I found some story lines (i.e. Arya's and Jon's) a little....slow, personally. I dreaded coming upon one of them and seriously considered skipping a few of them (though I didn't). The further you get into those particular story lines, you can tell that GRRM is trying to set up something very important for the future, building some anticipation (for example, the continuing theme of wolves in Arya's story line--I wonder where that's going?), but that doesn't really make it any more interesting for me.

I was upset that Robb wasn't more in this book. He's a key player, but has maybe two chapters. Not that I'm really interested in reading a lot of battle chapters, but it would have been nice to know what was going on in his head and at his meetings during certain events. Instead, you learn what he's doing through other characters, mainly Caitlyn and Tyrion. Daenerys was also sorely lacking in this books--being one of my favorite characters in the series, I looked forward to reading her chapters, but they were few and far between. Despite that, however, the chapters from her POV in the book were mostly action-packed and really forwarded her story line.

The highlights of this book were definitely Tyrion's, Daenerys's, Sansa's, Bran's, and Davos' story line. These were the most riveting, the one's you looked forward to, the most action-packed. I found the other 4 POV's featured a bit slower and harder to get through. Tyrion's constant clashes with Cersei and the rest of his family really make you root for him.

My overall rating is: 4.5 Stars. I took half a star off for pacing problems. I found many chapters very slow and chewy...and not in a delicious nougaty way, more like...dry meat chewy. But despite some pacing problems, it's an enjoyable book. I would definitely recommend it!

I am starting "A Storm of Swords," the third book in the series and will hopefully finish it within the next month or so to review. I'm also planning on reviewing Madonna's new music video, and I'll be reading a good deal of 19th century British Literature, so I will be putting some reviews up of what I read, as I read it. So be expecting those within the next couple of months. I also just pre-ordered Melanie Rawn's "Touchstone," coming out February 28th, 2012--a little birthday present for myself.

Happy reading!
AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment